GINNINDERRA CATCHMENT GROUP (GCG) connects, supports and leads
local communities to improve the health of Ginninderra Creek & Yass River
& surrounding environments
to ask to be sent a copy of the May 2018 newsletter!
(website is experiencing server difficulties)
The small team at Ginninderra Catchment Group coordinates
- Land-caring by 17 volunteer groups in Belconnen, Gungahlin and nearby NSW,
- On-ground restoration projects in Belconnen and Gungahlin and nearby NSW,
- Frogwatch by volunteers in the ACT and surrounding region, and education via Tadpole Kits,
( Follow @FrogwatchACT )
- Waterwatch by volunteers in the Ginninderra Creek and Yass River catchments.
WATERWATCH is running field-based educational activities with schools UNTIL JULY. Teachers in Belconnen, Gungahlin and Yass, please contact Bruno at the GCG office (phone 02 6278 3309) to find out more, and to book in. FREE, but places are limited.
Over 2000 members of the ACT and nearby NSW community are involved with GCG, and around 700 people contribute in person.
We volunteer as landcarers, waterwatchers, frog-listeners, citizen scientists and by assisting the office team in other ways.
OUR CURRENT PROGRAMS (for more information see those sections of this website)
- Community environmental stewardship: groups of volunteers doing urban landcare in bushland.
- Grassland restoration: science-based trials of several methods at sites across the catchment.
- Aboriginal land management: Aboriginal Elders building community understanding about Aboriginal heritage.
- Rural landscapes: working with rural landholders in Hall, Wallaroo and Sutton, NSW.
- Water quality monitoring by Waterwatch: for sites flowing into the Upper Murrumbidgee River, also monitoring carp, turtles and platypus.
- Frogwatch & Tadpole kits: citizen science; and educating schoolkids in 55 local schools each spring.
VOLUNTEERS & NEW MEMBERS ARE WELCOME in all our groups and teams!
Please contact us if you would like to help in our work
If you would like to donate to support the work of Ginninderra Catchment Group, by bank deposit, the details are below.
Ginninderra Environment Restoration Fund Westpac BSB: 032778 Account: 441399
Be sure to contact us to tell us what specific area you would like the money to go towards, and to give us an address where we can send your tax-deuctible receipt. Donations of $2 or more are tax deductible.
or to donate to support our funding,
or to receive the monthly newsletter.
WE ARE AT:
Phone: 02 6278 3309
Office: Kippax Health Centre, Holt, ACT
Here are some photos of recent work:
Clean Up Day, 4 March, at Umbagong (along Ginninderra Creek in Latham)
and in Macgregor;
and the autumn burn in the grassland trial;
and KPMG volunteers who helped at Mt Painter (in Cook), listening to Aboriginal Elder Wally Bell.